We Are What We Do

Tuesday 8 April 2008

Life is for Living

I was on the Press Gazette website yesterday and read an extract on the Student Journalism blog by Dave Lee entitled "Student journalists want whats best for this industry, so use us!"
(http://blogs.pressgazette.co.uk/students/2008/03/21/student-journalists-want-whats-best-for-this-industry-so-use-us/). In the blog Lee exposed his desire to be sent to a 'grotty, horrible' corner of the world to report on the realities of war, conflict, and life. In response blogger 'Martin' said that it was dangerous to send inexperienced journalists out to cover events as they might be killed. I do understand what he is saying, however I can't help but think that stuffy ideas like these mean that journalists who have just come into the field of reporting are being shot down before they have the chance to shine?

Life is for living, and in my opinion this is the height of living. Obviously everyone has different ideas about what they want out of their careers and life, but for me it's growing increasingly apparent that if I was actually situated in the country I would be able to see first hand accounts of the action. If more journalists had the opportunity to go out to the countries they were reporting on, I don't believe there would be any more debates on whether the quality of journalism had decreased.

On a different note, how interesting would this type of reporting be? Wherever I go travelling I crave the culture that's surrounding me. When I have the chance to go to Ghana this summer I'm hoping to become much more absorbed in the country than I have been previously on my travels. It's also the people you meet on the way, the dramatic contrast of their life to mine.
I'm getting flustered just thinking about it!!!

Until my next thought...

Hannah xx

p.s
Amy what do you reckon? xx

1 Comments:

  • At 9 April 2008 at 14:37 , Blogger Amy said...

    Well Hannah, being as you asked me directly, here are my thoughts.

    I wholeheartedly agree with journalists being allowed access to foreign affairs, but those that do should abide by some sort of conduct, I don't think it would help if sensationalism is allowed to run rife, neither should censorship be allowed, unless it's going to jeapordise the security/safety of any given nation/individual.

    Although journalists do have basic media laws to abide by, and the Press Complaints Commission, it's not always upheld, and in cases such as defamation once the defamatory comment is published, the mud sticks. So if journalists are allowed everywhere, it needs to be tightly regulated. I think the best way this could be acheived would be through self-regulation. If all journalists decided to help each other out to make journalism the best it could be, then it really would be better.

    If self-regulation didn't happen, or didn't happen effectively, I don't think governments are the best authority to step in, I think an independent body should be formed.

    Another point is, although I have utmost respect for journalists who go out to war torn and dangerous environments, although I have the utmost respect for these people, honestly speaking, I would be scared. That's why I think the internet is a good thing, because it allows me to know what's going on without being there. Therefore I do think more people who would be willing to go out there should be allowed.

    I hope you enjoyed my comments!

    P.S. - What's happening with your photo blog?

    x

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home